Blogging is more than publishing words on a page. It is a world wide community – a community that loves to work together. Sharing links, re-blogging pages, and commenting on posts are all ways to help fellow bloggers reach a wider audience. Also to that end, the blogging world has a tradition of bestowing awards. It’s not a complex process. Instead, it is as simple as one blogger nominating another for the award. It is done to offer recognition to a blog they enjoy, and to assist them in reaching a larger number of readers. I’ve noticed them on other blogs, but I’ve never received one myself – until yesterday!
I was so happy to learn my bloggy friend Stella Tarakson at http://stellatarakson.com/ nominated me for the Liebster Award. Stella lives far from me, WAAAAYYYYYYY over in Australia, but I read her blog faithfully. She is an author who blogs tips for writers on many topics including style, substance, editing, and publishing – not to mention how to deal with the all too common (but still dreaded) rejection notice. If you are interesting in becoming a better writer, I encourage you to check her blog out. It is a wonderful resource!
The Liebster Award is given to blogs who have less than 1,000 followers. By accepting the award, I agree to answer a list of ten questions given to me by Stella. In return, I then “pay it forward” by nominating five deserving bloggers for the award, and asking them to answer ten questions of my own. We link our pages to each other, making this a win-win-win situation as we help each other spread the word about our blogs. So without further delay, here are the answers to my questions:
1. What made you decide to take up blogging?
I met a new friend last January. She shared my interest in writing, and mentioned that she had a blog. I went home, read it, and got hooked on her blog. I also got hooked on the idea of blogging! After following her site for a few months, I thought, “If she can do it, so can I!”
2. What does your family think about you being a blogger?
My husband reads my blog about 80% of the time. I value his opinion, so it means a lot to me when he goes out of his way to mention he liked something I wrote. My kids don’t seem to think about it much! However, several members of my extended family read regularly. I’m lucky to have such wonderful cheerleaders.
3. At what time of day do you do your most productive writing/blogging?
From about 9 AM to 12 noon. I don’t get as much done in the afternoon and evenings. That’s family time!
4. What is your favourite form of social media and why?
I check into Facebook several times a day. I have many family members who live across the country from me. Facebook helps me feel closer to them. I also have a Facebook page for my blog – check it out at http://facebook.com/BrightTuesday
5. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I will always remember taking camping trips across the United States with my family. We drove from coast to coast, and saw so many iconic American sites. I will never forget the green station wagon we rode in, either!
6. Do you have an all-time favourite book or author?
I read Gone With The Wind at least once a year. I read it in 7th grade and I’ve been a fan ever since.
7. What was your favourite subject at high school?
That would have to be my literature class during my senior year. However, this had as much to do with the entertaining friends who sat near me as it did with the actual subject matter!
8. Where would you like to go on holiday, assuming no money restraints?
I would take a trip to Italy. Some of my family members recently returned from a vacation there, and the pictures they shared absolutely knocked me flat! Gorgeous.
9. Which superpower do you wish you had and why?
The ability to make laundry disappear instantaneously. Sometimes I think I spend more time folding clothes than anything else! Just think what I could accomplish with all that extra time…
10. What would you like to share about yourself that your readers might not know?
Although I try to act strong and tough and sometimes even cynical, I’m really a marshmallow of a person who has been known to cry during commercials and bad 80s songs. This is why my daughter calls me her “Grouchy Teddy-bear.”
And now here are the blogs I have nominated for the Liebster Award. (I wish I could have picked more than five, but I restrained myself.):
Here are my questions for them to answer:
1) How did you pick your blog name?
2) Why did you start your blog?
3) Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give to your teenage self?
4) What are three things you cannot live without?
5) Of all the blog posts you have written, which one is your favorite? (Link, please!)
6) Describe yourself in three words.
7) Who is your favorite author and why?
8) What single quality do you appreciate most in people?
9) What is your favorite quote and by whom?
10) What super power do you wish you had, and why?
Thanks everyone for reading! I encourage you to check out the nominated blogs – you might just find a new favorite.